Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Book Review: The Sin Eater's Daughter

I recently read The Sin Eaters Daughter. I gave this book 3 stars out of 5 on Goodreads. I had some problems with this book which you see down below. This review will have some spoilers, so skip to the end to see a non-spoiler review.

First this book is about, summary from Goodreads:
"I am the perfect weapon.
I kill with a single touch.
Twylla is blessed. The Gods have chosen her to marry a prince, and rule the kingdom. But the favour of the Gods has it's price. A deadly poison infuses her skin. Those who anger the queen must die under Twylla's fatal touch.
Only Lief, an outspoken new guard, can see past Twylla's chilling role to the girls she truly is.
Yet in a court as dangerous and the queen's, some truths should not be told."

Okay first off, I was so hoping this book would be so much better than what it was. I was kinda disappointed with it. Preface, I've been disappointed with any book that a human has a killing touch.... Shatter Me. Death touch just doesn't work in books for me I think.

Now on to the characters. Twylla is a indecisive little girl, this a YA she should be able to make she own decisions. There's so much time wasted on her trying to make up her mind about what to do with her life and situation. Plus she feels like she has no control of her life because the Queen is trying to control it. I think Twylla liked being controlled. I was not impressed with this character. 
The Queen, our villain, is just not bad enough. This character felt so flat to me. Her schemes weren't nearly good enough or as bad as I wanted them to be. 
Lastly the two guys that Twylla has to choose from aren't very good. The prince and her guard. Neither one of them is a complex character their both just kinda boring. 

The story part of this book was okay. I just wanted more action not so much indecisiveness. I also didn't like the religion aspect I can't really tell if the author was basing it off of real mythology or not. Plus, the way that Twylla gets her power is by drinking a concoction and praying to a god and goddess, again it didn't work  for me. 

The end is where I had major problems, Twylla didn't even stay in the castle and rule the land she needed to with the Prince. I understand why, I mean if you had the choice to be a leader and make the world the way it needed to be after a small tyriant ruled wouldn't you want to stay to see the world made better. I feel like it was a let down. 

Over all if you really like books with a character that can kill people by touching them then you might like this. I wouldn't persoally recommend it though. It was a let down for me that's for sure.  

No comments:

Post a Comment